Challenge Math by Zaccaro
We are starting with this one - covering grades 1-4 for "gifted children".
I ended up purchasing the entire of books in this series for several reasons:
- looking for a good set of word problems to review earlier concepts
- Montessori math and geometry do not align with any other available curriculum (I group the Montessori-inspired curricula options somewhere in the middle)
- Something just didn't sit right with me concerning the other options. They are useful; I will not say don't use them (especially if they are working great for you! Keep going with what works!) - but there was a mis-match for our family, my principles and my understanding of Montessori.
- This set of books (there are several in the series) are designed for gifted children - children of younger ages who have particular gifts that correspond with typically older children.
- I wanted to review them for the sake of other families looking for a resource to fill a similar need.
- This series also includes some of those allegedly missing concepts, perfectly tying them into the included album pages (associating money with decimal fractions, converting into percents, etc. (NOTE: Please do not flame me in comments regarding missing concepts - I've covered this topic before, I am not saying Montessori is wrong, and I'm not saying the concepts aren't there - I am fully trained, I know where the concepts are and where they fit in. Comments of a flaming nature will be removed. I'm done with flaming when I speak peacefully. Thank you for speaking respectfully.)
- Primary Challenge Math - grades 1-4: Includes chapters on Sequences, Problem-solving, Money, Percents, Algebraic Thinking, Negative Numbers, Logic, Ratios, Probability, Measurements, Fractions, Division. This book includes topic that Montessori has in upper elementary. Guess what? That tells me it is likely to trust a child's abilities and correspond well. I am NOT disappointed.
- Upper Elementary Challenge Math - grades 3-5 (this is available for pre-order, shipping in April)
- Challenge Math - grades 4-9: Includes chapters on Astronomy, Algebra, Problem Solving, Percents, Fractions, Decimals, Ratio & Proportions, Physics, Statistics, Probability, Metric System, Perimeters, Area, Volumes, Trigonometry, Calculus
- Real World Algebra - grades 4-9: Includes chapters on Language of Algebra, Geometry and Algebra, Proportions and Algebra, Physics, Levers, Pythagorean Theorem, Percents and Algebra, Simultaneous Equations, Algebra and Money
- Becoming a Problem Solving Genius: A Handbook of Math Strategies
- 10 Things All Future Mathematicians and Scientists Must Know (but are rarely taught)
- 25 Real Life Math Investigations That Will Astound Teachers and Students
- Scammed by Statistics: How we are lied to, cheated and manipulated by statistics and why you should care