Montessori Elementary Homeschool Blog - with documentation of our infant Montessori, toddler Montessori, and primary Montessori experiences; as well as preparation for the upcoming adolescent Montessori homeschool years.

Sunday, November 22, 2015

Elementary Montessori Videos - and Foster Care

I have dropped from the blogging world for a while now. We've been busy!

The elementary Montessori homeshool videos are finally being posted - little by little! I have the first set of videos posted to the Keys of the Universe course site. I am NOT happy with the quality, but it comes down to getting them out there and moving forward; or being so perfectionistic (my typical personality trait) that they NEVER get posted. Well, that and my son can't decide if he is a Dalek, a Muppet, or a Human Boy. ;)






We (I say "we" because Legoboy attended 2 days of it with me) attended a math workshop with Michael Waski, the author of the Montessori Algebra for the Adolescent album. Oh LOVED IT!

And, last but certainly not least - we are officially opening our home to foster care. Oh what am I getting myself into!? I have been confident of the choice right up to getting my fingerprints taken - the moment I received the letter saying my fingerprints are in the clear, I started on the "what if" scenarios.

All the more umph to get those videos posted and ensure that Legoboy's education is on firm ground.



Legoboy:

As part of his own foster care journey, Legoboy has been taking a few online-only courses through the American Red Cross. A family adult and pediatric first aid/cpr course - and a babysitting course.

The babysitting course: Though he will never be babysitting a foster child or ever left alone with them, we both agreed it was good for him to understand the type of basic care a young child needs. He has been around young children and even done some babysitting, but this is all going to be so much more intense and personal - and longer-term. The course is also providing him some activity ideas - things he can do with the younger children, to guide his interactions with them.

Together we did the Bloodborne Pathogens course - a requirement for me and good knowledge for him.

Then we went in to do the in-person portion of my own CPR/First Aid/AED course - the one that the state is paying for? I managed to do the online portion despite all the changes since the last time I was fully certified and multiple computer issues. Drove an hour and a half (check the map next time, seriously) for a 2 hour class... I had what was going to become a bad cold coming on and was a bit grouchy from the long drive... and it turns out the lady running it also does the in-person babysitting courses (used to working with 11 year olds), two participants didn't show up, so she invited Legoboy to practice on the dummies as well. He did better than the rest of us! No certificate since he didn't sign up and I still didn't think to ask what the minimum age is. The fact he has essentially done the whole certification process successfully (with or without a certificate), made it all worth it!

I do believe that all children should know some basic first aid and have some basic emergency skills: basic self-defense, safety awareness, how to cleanse and bandage a wound, when to call 911, how to check if someone even needs 911, that sort of thing.

Moving into adolescence, a part of their biology studies should definitely include a more full-blown CPR and First Aid study; childcare/babysitting/basic child development (regardless of babysitting or younger siblings - this just helps them to know where they came from and incites respect for all people); routine experiences with both active and inactive elderly; and basic home remedies for common non-life-threatening ailments. These are basic life skills that much of our society has forgotten.





2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting! We haven't been doing Montessori long and it is nice to know that a lot of what we do naturally is what is the plan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for posting. I'm sure this is going to be very helpful to so many people. Love the insight on CPR, babysitting classes and child development idea.

    ReplyDelete