What this Montessori Elementary Art album is NOT:It is not an album with every possible art experience your child could possibly ever have.
- This is an AMI-style album - therefore Keys-Based - meaning it
provides the essentials - what every child should have exposure
to in order to lay a strong foundation for his personal
interests and for any local educational requirements.
- All art forms are represented in one manner or another -
keys-based. We get to the point.
- An album of such magnitude, would need to be multiple volumes
and be very inexpensive; it would also make things very
difficult for locating what are the key experiences.
- If you have a child whose aptitude is art, start with this
album to provide that solid foundation - make sure all avenues
are introduced; then you will find other resources suitable to
your child's particular interest.
- Don't have a child whose interest is art? Utilize this album to provide exposure to all the possibilities, so that when they come to those moments in life when some form of creative expression is needed, they have basic tools to get the job done without belaboring the point.
- Practical life exercises are included because these lay the
foundation for art skills; and the primary AMI practical life
album does include preliminary art experiences.
- This album expands on the ART, not the practical life
(remembering that art is practical life).
- Practical life in primary becomes the geography album in elementary - experiments, exploring the world (these are also present in language arts and other subjects).
- An advanced practical life album would be a list of skills
needed at the elementary level - not enough to be a full album.
- So for those looking for an advanced practical life album -
sorry! This goes a different direction: Art.
- For those thinking this IS Advanced Practical Life and not
enough art: see the first point above. This DOES provide the art
experiences your child needs at elementary.
- There is some work in here that would work for the primary
child; but this album is set up to provide the elementary
child any "missed" primary level experiences and move
forward quickly from there.
- Looking for art at the primary level? Utilize the Primary Exercises of Practical Life album (art section), as well as the various art experiences found in the sensorial, math and language primary albums. The art needed at primary is all there in the primary albums already.
- Montessori is about individual development.
- Montessori is about keys for each individual child.
- Montessori provides individualized experiences for the
children in using the keys of this world (and of this universe)
to find their own place in the Cosmic Plan.
- Thus we provide experiences in this art album to help the
child learn to utilize the various tools of art: paintbrushes to
colored pencils, paints to clay, artists' lives and work to the
key elements of art.
So what IS this Montessori Elementary Art album?A keys-based approach to laying a strong foundation of art skills for the elementary child in preparation for further art experiences based on their own interests and educational requirements.
Montessori art is about having the keys you need to create anything you want to do. This album gives you the basic affordable tools you need to do that. There are suggestions for further work, such as calligraphy, without direct instructional album pages - why? Because some of those skills require tools that come with a particular set of instructions for those tools. And something like calligraphy is included with the elementary LANGUAGE album ;) Woodworking and wood carving mentioned, but it is best to 1) find an expert and 2) use the instructions with the tools you acquire. All the safety concerns should be presented by someone who knows exactly what he or she is doing, whether a parent or someone else; not by a well-intentioned parent who has never cut wood before either. Use this opportunity to learn alongside your child!